Last Updated on 2 months by Shadman
Buying a ping-pong table for home is a great idea. It will be a source of regular entertainment as well as an opportunity to take care of your physical fitness.
After all, playing table tennis requires good preparation, fast moves. However, before we enjoy a ping-pong table at home, we must know how to choose it correctly so as not to throw money away.
In case you are in a hurry, here is the list of best ping pong table for home to look at a glance.
|Ping pong Tables for home||Categories|
|Cornilleau Sport 250 Indoor||Indoor Table|
|Butterfly Personal Ping Pong Table||Indoor Table|
|STIGA Space Saver||Mid-Sized Table|
|STIGA Mini Table Black Edition||Mid-Sized Table|
|JOOLA NOVA DX Outdoor||Outdoor Table|
|Kettler Outdoor 10||Outdoor Table|
Before proceeding with the purchase, we would like to guide you to help you find a lot of useful information on how to choose the best ping pong tables for your family.
The era of ping-pong tables
A long time ago, in the 80s and 90s, a home table tennis table was assembled from plywood sheets, an improvised net was made, but it was enough for real pleasure.
The times were such that you had to go to a few tennis clubs where you could play on a professional ping-pong table. Of course, one or two tables for 15 people did not make the process comfortable, but the joy was enormous.
In the first half of the 1990s, ping pong tables for the open-air began to appear in the yards.
Traditionally, those were busy playing for all age categories. And to this day we can still find such tables in our yards, but times have changed and more and more people can afford to buy a ping pong table.
Outdoor or indoor table?
You should know that the table is chosen first in terms of its purpose. After all, the materials it is made of depend on its lifetime. Usually, it makes no sense to buy a super professional ping-pong table for private, home use.
As the name suggests, the ping-pong table can also be used for outdoor play. It is characterized by the use of appropriate materials.
So that the weather conditions do not affect it negatively, allowing you to serve for a long time, and you can safely play ping-pong even in your own garden.
This type of ping-pong table should be really well prepared and the material covering the tabletop should not reflect the sunlight.
You should understand that the indoor ping-pong tables are not suitable even in your own garden. The sun will reflect off the table and the outside environment will have a negative impact on its quality.
Table tennis tables indoor and outdoor differences
The difference between an indoor and an outdoor ping pong table lies in the material and structure.
To choose the best ping pong table we must take into account the place where it will be used and consequently opt for an outdoor or indoor table. Let’s see the differences in detail.
Outdoor ping pong table
The indoor table is characterized by its resistance to weather and humidity.
Even if it is always better to close the table or cover it with the special case in case of rain, the frame is stainless and anti-rust, while the game surface is made of synthetic materials that do not absorb moisture.
The outdoor ping pong table is an ideal choice if you have a nice garden where you can organize games with friends. It is also the right choice for hotels, recreational clubs, schools that have an open space at their disposal.
Another characteristic concerns the table legs which must have a wide enough base to guarantee stability in case the table is placed on a lawn.
The wheels of the outdoor ping pong tables are large and robust to be able to transport them more easily and to offer stability during the game.
Although there are many models of professional outdoor ping pong table useful for training.
Professionals know that competitive competitions are held only indoors to prevent the wind from influencing the course of the very light ping pong ball.
If you don’t have an outdoor area adequately protected from the wind, you may find the training very difficult and sometimes counterproductive.
Indoor ping pong table
When choosing an indoor ping pong table, folding and easily transportable models are preferred so as to reduce the overall dimensions to a minimum when the table is not in use.
The opening and closing mechanism must be robust to withstand continuous stress, while table legs and wheels can be smaller and lighter than outdoor tables as they are tested for use on solid and flat floors.
The game surface of the indoor tables can be easily made of wood because it will not be in contact with the weather. In fact, wood offers a superior rebound quality, perfect for professional training.
One-piece or folding table?
As always, you should weigh the pros and cons of this question. For many, the only choice is a folding table, for others, a solid table is not a problem. What are the pros and cons of choosing a ping pong table option?
A folding table means above all greater mobility, easy folding, and transport from the garden to the garage. This type of table tennis table is also a good option for playing without an opponent.
A solid tennis table, on the other hand, is simpler and less restrictive in design. It is also definitely in a lower price range.
However, there is so much choice in the market today that you can choose any pong table at an affordable price, tailored to your individual needs and budget.
Considering cost for ping pong tables
Basically, it is impossible to unambiguously answer the key question about how much a ping-pong table costs. You can consider budget options, you can look for more expensive ones.
First of all, it is necessary to act reasonably before buying a tennis table but the price should not always be the main criterion of choice.
Advantage of indoor and outdoor ping pong tables
If you would like to have a ping pong table at home but you are still undecided whether to buy it or not because you are not yet 100% convinced.
Below I can list some advantages that you can have in having one at home. We can have indoor ping pong tables and outdoor ping pong tables. Let’s see what their advantages are and why you should have one:
Indoor ping pong tables:
- If you are looking for a ping pong table it is because you most likely like it as a sport, so why not have one at home to play and have fun whenever you feel like it?
- Ping pong is an activity for the whole family and those who have children at home could purchase a ping pong table to move them away from TV and video game consoles making them have fun without sitting in an armchair.
- If you want to move, keep exercising and you like ping pong you have found the right combination. Choosing the best ping pong tables will give you the chance to have fun and exercise at the same time, especially when playing fast-paced with another player
- If you already know how to play ping pong and you want to train competitively, the best way to achieve maximum results is to have a ping pong table at home to use when you want to be able to exercise at your best.
- The table tennis for indoor usually offers a better bounce than outdoor.
Outdoor ping pong tables:
- It doesn’t matter whether it’s summer or winter, with an outdoor ping pong table you can play outdoors whenever you feel like it.
- Playing outdoors you will have more space available and you will avoid ending up on furniture, paintings, sofas, etc. which could happen inside the house.
- Choosing the best ping pong tables will give you the opportunity to have a product made of very resistant materials such as aluminum.
- Consequently, these ping pong tables can be placed outside the house, in the courtyard, or garden without being ruined by atmospheric agents. In fact, they can last even for decades outdoors for this reason
- Usually, the outdoor ping pong tables are not foldable on themselves in general and are made to remain static in the desired point, thus also making furniture for the courtyard.
- The outdoor ping pong tables are very resistant because of the materials used. But precisely because of the materials used, someone because of the bounce on the table that you get may prefer to play on an indoor ping pong table.
Now let’s see what are the most important features to consider in order to choose the best ping pong tables:
Thickness of the ping pong table: the thickness can be a very important factor in order to choose the best ping pong tables.
We can in fact find thicknesses for the playing surfaces that can be between about 0.6 cm and 2.5 cm.
The best quality ping pong tables, however, have a thickness that can range from 2.2 cm to 2.5 cm, a thickness that provides a constant rebound on the entire playing surface.
If, however, you are going to use a ping pong table to have fun and that’s it, without much pretension, you probably won’t be too interested in the fact that you could get a bounce off the lower ball in some areas of the ping pong table.
Frame: a rigid and resistant frame will allow the ping pong table to obtain greater stability. In order to better evaluate the strength of the frame, check the thickness, its construction material, and width.
Net: some ping pong tables have a fixed net, others have a removable one, choose the one you like best and find comfortable.
Ping pong rackets and balls: together with the ping pong table, two racquets and a good number of balls are often supplied.
In order to start immediately testing the potential of the table and start enjoying yourself immediately.
Size: we can choose the best ping pong tables from different sizes. The standard sizes of a ping pong table are 274 cm long by 152.5 cm wide and 76 cm high, but we can also find much smaller dimensions for tables to be used at home.
If you are going to enjoy ping pong to the fullest, you want to train seriously or you want to participate in a competition, then opt for a table with standard dimensions.
If it is to entertain your young children and the size of the surface does not matter so much, you could opt for a much smaller model. Maybe the ones that can be turned into multi-game, also becoming a foosball table.
Assembly: in general the ping pong tables are delivered disassembled, if you have problems in the assembly you could ask for help from an expert. Otherwise, you could spend some of your time assembling the table.
The assembly of a ping pong table is not difficult. However, it requires at least 30 minutes of time on average depending on the number of pieces of which it is formed.
Foldable: who has enough space in the house, can dedicate a large room to be able to place the ping pong table.
But if there is no room like this and you cannot leave a ping pong table in the middle of the room, What should you do?
In this case, it is always better to choose the best folding ping pong tables which are equipped with wheels (most indoor ping pong tables have these functions).
In this way, once you have finished playing, just fold the table in two in the middle, thus lengthening the table vertically, so as to take up much less space when the table is not used.
As far as moving the table is concerned, it will be enough that the model chosen is equipped with wheels. So that you can move the ping pong table easily to a point in the room where it does not create disturbance.
And with minimal effort, ready to be taken out whenever you want to play a game.
Finally, here are some tips to make the best use of the ping pong table once you have managed to make the right choice:
- Make sure to position the ping pong table indoors or outside the house where you can move freely around the table. So as to avoid colliding against the wall or that movements are limited by the spaces around.
- Even if you decide to choose the best ping pong tables for outdoor use, remember that no matter how resistant they are, you should take care of the table equally as an indoor table.
- To prevent them from spoiling over time, I recommend that you also buy a decent table cover when not in use.
- When you fold the table on itself because you no longer have to use it, be careful of the fingers of the hands not to trap them between the hinges. This is especially true for children who may not pay so much attention to what they do.
- The surface of a ping pong table will need to be cleaned occasionally. Avoid using aggressive chemicals that could ruin the surface. Always use a cloth moistened with water for cleaning and if you really need it you can add a drop of distilled white vinegar.
This is all the most important information you need to be able to choose the best ping pong tables and if you are now looking for a good product to be able to play indoors or outdoors take a look at all the reviews below.
These are well chosen tables for home use. You should find one for you.
The Best ping pong tables for home we are talking about
Cornilleau Sport 250 Indoor, Unisex-Adult Table Tennis Table (megaspin link)
If money is not a problem for you this Cornilleau sports 250 for Indoor is the right choice for you. This will provide you a good gaming experience, no matter if you are a beginner or a pro. It comes with 3 years of warranty.
The generous diameter of its new wheels (200 mm), together with an ultra robust design, offers unique freedom, maneuverability and flexibility.
It has a 5mm layered resin top. The legs, which are adjustable, are also made of resin. The brakes ensure great stability during play and maximum safety when the table is folded down.
To ensure the ideal positioning of the network, there is a very precise voltage regulation system. On both sides of the table, there are dispensers capable of holding 4 rackets and 8 balls. It is covered by a 10-year warranty.
Tabletop: high density of 19 mm blue chipboard top
Legs and wheels: 115 x 28 mm sturdy steel legs
Net and uprights: ABS folding poles, adjustable
The foldable game function allows you to practice on your own.
3-year warranty on all unworn parts.
- It is comparatively lightweight. The total weight of the table is about 160 lbs. 2 persons should be enough to move it and there are wheels to move it more comfortably.
- It comes with adjustable legs in case you have an uneven surface.
- Ball storage system on both sides.
The only disadvantage I have found is that the fixed net, that limits your replacement option.
Butterfly Personal Ping Pong Table (Amazon link)
This Butterfly table is a great choice who are considering little bit higher budget to get rid of low-quality tables. This Butterfly Personal table comes with a 2-piece, tournament-quality top that makes the game more enjoyable and fun.
This table includes edgebanding to guard the table against wear, also extra bracing around the legs gives great support and strength.
- This INDOOR PING PONG TABLE is a very long-lasting and excellent option for your game room in your home.
- The Personal Butterfly Ping Pong Table comes with a 3-year warranty. That’s a relief.
- Unlike other low-quality tables, this one includes a 19mm thick top which will provide a better bounce quality
- This ping pong table can be easily folded and takes a very little space of your storage area
- You can play and practice table tennis without a partner with one-half vertical if you want to improve your game alone.
- Net provided with the table. But the Paddles have to be purchased individually.
- Not a very good choice to use outdoor.
Mid sized tables
STIGA Space Saver (amazon link)
For me this is by far one of the best table tennis for home. STIGA made this really amazing budget friendly piece for family use. This 3/4 table can save up a lot of space. You can put it anywhere in the house.
- Play at your home with your family and friends without any hesitation for space
- Fold it and store it anywhere in the house easily after playing a game
- You can use both parts for other uses in the house
One disadvantage is the two parts have to be attached with the net while playing. You can’t move the parts apart without removing the net.
STIGA Mini Table Black Edition (megaspin link)
Stiga mini table is quite reasonable for a cheap budget. This Table uses very little space(50inch by 28inch) and quite useful to pass your time with kids. Kids especially teenagers would feel comfortable playing in it.
- It uses 12mm fiberboard top in dark structure
- Perfect for the family who appreciates playing table tennis at home yet have restricted space
- Can be folded easily
- Useful to carry in a vehicle during an outdoor vacation.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Can’t get the feeling of a big bouncy table.
- Can’t get the service or durability as high-quality tables.
JOOLA NOVA DX Outdoor (Amazon link)
JOOLA is a well-known brand for over 50 years. They provide tables for international tournaments and even in the Olympics.
JOOLA NOVA DX Outdoor is a great quality table tennis table that can be used indoor or outdoor. This is a fantastic choice for a mid-range budget. This one is quite reasonable compared to other outdoor ping pong brands.
- This tabletop is a 6 mm thick surface made of solid aluminum plastic that is resistant to warping and chipping. The table stands on a rustproof, powder-coated chassis. It provides a set of outdoor table tennis nets.
- This gorgeous table is 95% pre-assembled and you will be ready to play within only 10-15 minutes. Just join the legs with the 8 bolts given.
- 4 wheel trolley comes with each part of the table so that you can simply move each part easily whenever you needed. You can simply unfold one part of the table to practice alone when needed using automatic anti-tilting locks.
- JOOLA provides great customer service.
- The net is weatherproof.
- The paint doesn’t come under warranty.
- Pretty heavy, so be careful while unloading.
- Have to use a cover to protect it from rain as rain could harm this table pretty quickly.
Kettler Outdoor 10 (Amazon link)
It is designed with a new hand release mechanism to make opening and closing operations particularly easy and safe. The game surface is in Alu-Tec + multilayer for outdoor use and has a thickness of 22 mm.
The frame is equipped with newly designed double wheels suitable for moving on rough terrain for convenient transportation even on uneven surfaces. The edge protection is made of removable soft material.
All four legs are easily adjustable in height. On each side there is a practical dispenser for inserting and extracting the balls. An elastic support band is available on each net tensioner, ideal for arranging rackets, bags, jackets and so on. The folded dimensions are 68 x 183 x 165 cm, while once opened it measures 274 x 152.5 x 76 cm.
- Easily movable
- Height adjustable
- Ball dispenser
Of course, the table tennis table itself is not enough to enjoy it to the fullest. You need to take care of the right rackets and table tennis balls.
Which is the best racket for table tennis? It’s definitely up to your own hand. The racket should allow you to play freely, and the hand shouldn’t get tired too fast.
Ping-pong rackets have a wide variety of designs, the type of material that affects weight (the lighter the better for the comfort of your hand), and the type of surface.
What else to remember?
- Get leg levelers so that the metal leg of the ping pong table couldn’t scratch the floor.
- To increase the life of the net of an outdoor table untie and keep it in a dry place after the game.
- Clean and maintain your table regularly
- Cover your outdoor table up when it is not in use.
- Be careful when folding the table.
Can you use a ping pong table as a dining table?
Yes, you can. But 76 cm is a little higher than a normal dining table height. So if your table’s leg is not adjustable then you have to adjust accordingly.
So this is it. We tried to provide all the necessary information as per the requirement to buy the best ping pong table for home. Hope this will help you to buy the best one out there for your family.
Thanks for reading.